The Doug Moran National Portrait Prize encourages both excellence and creativity in contemporary Australian portraiture. Since its establishment in 1988 by passionate supporters of the arts, Doug and Greta Moran AO, the Prize has supported artists striving to achieve success and recognition in portraiture.
Artists are asked to interpret the look and personality of a chosen sitter, either unknown or well known from any walk of Australian life. Your sitter should be or should have been aware of your intent to enter their portrait in the Doug Moran National Portrait Prize. Entries must be original works painted in oil, acrylic, watercolour, ink, pastel, egg tempera or mixed media.
The Prize is acquisitive and the winning artwork immediately becomes the property of the Moran Arts Foundation, to be held and exhibited as part of the Moran Collection.
- Entry closing date: 10 Oct 2022 at 23.59 (Eastern Standard Time)
- Please note this date is final and there will be no extensions provided
- Semi Finalists will be notified on 20 Oct 2022
- Finalists will be notified on 3 Nov 2022
- Winner announced: 30 Nov 2022
The winner of the 2022 Doug Moran National Portrait Prize will receive $150,000
- Gerard Vaughan AM, Australian art historian and museum administrator
- Lucy Culliton, one of Australia’s foremost contemporary artists
- Peter Moran, Moran Arts Foundation
A non-refundable entry fee of $100 for each artwork submitted will apply.
If your work is chosen as a finalist, the Moran Arts Foundation will cover the cost to transport your artwork from your local IAS depot to and from the judging point in Sydney.
Your entry is not complete and submitted until payment has been made. Entry fees may be paid by credit card only and must be paid online at the time of completing submissions.
If you have any further questions, please contact us by email and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
- The competition is open to Australian citizens or residents of at least 12 months
- New in 2022 – You are required to register an account (with password) before submitting an entry. Your password must be at least 12 characters including upper and lower case letters, a number and a special character eg. %&$#
- You may edit your entry after submitting it, up until the entry deadline, 10 October 2022
- You are eligible to enter more than one artwork, as long as the work submitted meets the criteria. Use the ‘copy’ feature to create a copy of your entry and change the details as required.
- Please double check all your personal details are entered accurately, especially your contact details.
- When entering, please ensure our emails do not end up in your junk or spam folder by adding our email address firstname.lastname@example.org to your contact list
Entries closed 10 October 2022